Author Topic: New Use for Sportsman Incubator: Food Dryer  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Little Feather

• Administrator
  • Home on the Nest
    • Back 40 Books, Poultry Photos
New Use for Sportsman Incubator: Food Dryer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:27:33 AM »
Do you own one of these?

This is the Sportsman Incubator made for many years by GQF manufacturing.  It is still being produced today.  If you own one of these and have only been using it for incubating eggs you will be pleased to learn that it can be used for another purpose later in the year:  Food and Herb Dryer!

After owning one of these for over 12 years and also being interested in drying herbs for medicinal use it occurred to me after looking at plans for a medium-scale herb dryer that a small fan importing outside air and sending it over a low-wattage heating element at approximately 100 degrees was exactly what I already had in my Sportsman.

Being the adventuresome sort I cleaned the trays and put some mullein leaves, St. Johns Wort, some Lemon Balm and some rustic tobacco in the Sportsman for a trial run.  Voila!  In 24 hours I had 4 trays of perfectly dried herbs.  Since then I have used it almost continually to dry various herbs including sassafras leaves, sumac leaves and many more.  Some took less than 24 hours to dry and some 48 hours.

This is economical to run, quick and does a great job.  Oh yes, it will also dehydrate vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers and onions as well.  Did I mention it will fill the area it is in with wonderful smells as well.  Before I learned to pay attention to the "small details" I almost drove a cat to Ecstasy by drying catnip.

Well, there you go.  If you are the adventuresome type try this yourself.  And then come back here, log in and tell us about your experiences.

Herman Beck-Chenoweth

Read more of Herman's writings here on the forum:

Click the Image Below to learn about Herman Beck-Chenoweth's Best selling Book & DVD Combo at Back 40 General Store:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:34:15 AM by Little Feather »