Author Topic: Talent for your Video Productions  (Read 1507 times)

Offline TheOldBuzzard

• Administrator
    • The Old Buzzard's Roost
Talent for your Video Productions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:48:39 AM »
Finding Talent for Videos
 A handy guide to finding, auditioning and hiring the best performers for your next production. As you increase the production level of your videos, you will arrive at a brand-new challenge - acquiring talent. How do you identify potential personnel for your videos and how do you evaluate those people to ensure they are the correct choices for your projects? For the purpose of this article, let's group talent into two general groups: models and actors. We'll define a model, not as a person with the potential to appear on the cover of Vogue, but as someone who will appear in your video.

An actor, on the other hand, will probably have a limited acting requirement and will appear to either deliver dialogue or at least convey some type of emotion. Securing a model merely involves finding someone who has the appropriate look for your piece and is willing to be shot. Many times, the best way to cast a "young mom" model, for example, is to just go find a genuine young mother and convince her to appear in your project. Locating and evaluating an actor who will actually need to deliver lines and convey some emotion is a little trickier. The Project Let's suppose that you, as the member of your local service organization who owns a Mini DV camcorder and a computer-based editing system, have been asked to create a video that publicizes your upcoming club-sponsored Kids Day. The purpose of the video is to highlight what will take place on Kids Day and to encourage local businesses to get involved. You need to script this project and then secure a host or hostess to be the on-camera talent and to lead the interviews. Then, find a couple of older folks, a young couple, a high-school student and a few kids to enact short scenarios depicting what will happen during Kids Day. These scenarios will be loosely scripted, but you'll probably let the actors create some of their own dialogue to try to keep it sounding more authentic and less scripted. Learn The 8 Secrets To Making A Stellar First Video These simple hints can make even your first video look like a professional production. Read more..

Finding the Talent Talent can be uncovered in a variety of different locations. A local community theater is an obvious choice, but local choirs, churches, community organizations, service clubs, high schools and community colleges also can provide potential thespians. You can also post a message on an appropriate bulletin board, but actually contacting someone with some authority and explaining what your project involves is a better approach. Perhaps that person could solicit volunteers or, better yet, allow you to visit the group and create some enthusiasm for the project to actually get some people to commit to an audition. The local newspaper may also be a good resource: perhaps a columnist will put a mention in the paper that you have a project and are looking for talent. Many schools have video classes and clubs, and you may also be able to locate a few videographers-in-training to help you as crewmembers for your shoot. Of course the classifieds are a very direct way to get the word out. Announce your auditions about two weeks before the actual audition date and either have everyone arrive at a given time, (a cattle-call audition) or provide a phone number and have the individuals call and then assign each of them an audition slot. I prefer the latter approach. Organizing the Audition I was once asked by Hal Prince, the well-known Broadway director, how I held my auditions, and I told him that I executed a very formal, "Go stand on the white mark and await instructions" audition. After the talent approached the mark, a stage manager would tell them to begin. Two minutes later, unless I indicated otherwise, the stage manager would say, "Thank you very much," and off they went. "Why do you audition that way?" Mr. Prince asked. "Well, because that's how I've always been auditioned," I answered.

He went on to explain that he didn't agree with establishing an even more terrifying environment than was already created by the act of having to audition. He explained that when folks auditioned for him, it was in a room where he greeted and spoke with the people, putting them at ease before they ever read. This strategy gives you a better chance of seeing what they might actually bring to your project, he explained. I have held informal auditions ever since, and I think it has much more effectively allowed me to gauge how well someone will perform. So, when you hold an audition, find a comfortable room where you can meet each person and keep it casual. Videotape your auditions to gain more insight into your applicants, but talk with them first. Tell them all about the project, find out about their experience and then shoot the audition. Auditions should last about 10 minutes per person, but if this is your first set of auditions, allow 15 minutes so you don't feel rushed.

Don't Do in-house production? Give Pleasant Valley Productions a call. We are a full-service production company, manufacturer & distributor. Click the link below for more info:
 http://PleasantValleyProductions.com