tenant

Author Topic: Georgette Jones: Standing by her Mom & Dad  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Little Feather

• Administrator
  • Home on the Nest
    • Back 40 Books, Poultry Photos
Re: Georgette Jones: Standing by her Mom & Dad
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:52 AM »
Tammy Wynette's Daughter on Pain, Redemption and a Faked Kidnapping

Georgette Jones was born into country music royalty.
Her mother is the late Tammy Wynette and her father, George Jones. But life for the 40 year old has not been a honky-tonk heaven. Her parents divorced when she was four and for many years she had a distant and unhappy relationship with her father. Her mother, who famously sang 'Stand By Your Man,' was trapped in an unhappy marriage to singer/songwriter George Richey and developed a dependency on pain killers. Georgette became a nurse and only recently gave it up to pursue her dream of, you guessed it, singing country music. PopEater caught up with Jones to talk about her just-out memoir, 'The Three of Us: Growing Up With Tammy and George,' and reflects on mom's "con man" of a fifth husband, who she believes abused Tammy and concocted a still-murky kidnapping story in 1978 to account for bruises on the star.

How did this book come about?

I had recently read a book about my mom and put it down by page 90 because I was so upset by the things that were being written and I couldn't read anymore. It became more and more important for me to tell what my parents were really like. That book made my mom look the absolute opposite of what I knew my mom to have been like. So many people have told me stories how she helped them, how kind she was the book made her look very manipulative and devious and ready to step on anyone to get where she wanted and that wasn't the case. And there are lots of stories about my dad and most of them have been very negative. I didn't want people to think of this man as just an outlaw figure who partied and round around crazy. I wanted people to know the person I'd finally gotten to know. He's a very loyal friend and very generous, a good person. I wanted people to see that. I felt like it wasn't out there.

You didn't see your dad much when you were growing up.

My parents divorced when I was four and for the next ten years I would see my dad maybe two or three times a year for my birthday or Christmas. He would come over to my mom's house for like an hour. I started to try visiting him when I was 14 but I think at that point in my life and his too, me being a teen and him trying to do things with his career and manage the turmoil in his life, he was still drinking and had problems of his own that he was trying to shelter me from, neither of us really knew how to communicate and tell each other our concerns. Our way of handling it was to avoid it and each other.

When did things start to turn around in your relationship with him?

I got to a point where I completely shut him out. I got tired of trying to call and feeling rejected. The more I learned about my dad and the more I started spending time with him I realized this is a man who had been hurt so many times by his family and close friends. I think he had just built up a wall against everyone. He really was scared to let anyone it. I finally got to a point where I had to accept his past and accept who he was and find a way to get past it.

I went for a while not speaking to my dad and then my mom passed away and he came to the house. He was there for me. My step-father at the time didn't do anything. My dad and step-mom went with me and my sisters to the funeral home, not to make decisions but to be there for me, for support. It meant so much to me that he was there when I needed him the most. I thought at that point I'd have to try again if he was trying and I'm really glad that we did because things have improved a lot.

Your mother was a complicated figure.

People want to portray her as very fragile, very sick and sad person. For me growing up my mom was so spunky and full of life and happiness for a very long time. It wasn't until my teenage years that I started seeing that charge. I certainly don't think the majority of her life was tragic by any means. She did have some terrible things happen in her life, she dealt with some things wonderfully and terribly in others but so do I and so does most everyone.

Do you think your step-father Richey was responsible for your mother's death?

In my personal opinion, I have no legal evidence, I do think he was indirectly responsible for my mom's death. That's my personal opinion. We found out so many things after my mom died. I wish I didn't know those things. It's painful to think that my mom lived the kind of life she lived and we didn't understand some of it. We knew we had to be nice to Richey. If we didn't act nice towards him then he would prevent us from talking to mom. He was very manipulative and devious and tried very hard to separate mom from her family and friends so he could be the only person she could turn to. I think she felt like she had no choice and it was too difficult to fight and had become more dependent on pain medication. There were times my sisters and I reached out and said you can always come stay with us. She liked to put up a big front as if she was very strong. There would be very few times where should would break down and be vulnerable and tell us what was going on. It's hard for me to look back at those things at times because it makes me very angry.

You tried to do an intervention.

Mom grew up in an age where you didn't ask your doctor questions. She really did have pain and surgeries so she thought 'I'm having pain, the doctors are giving me pain medication, it's ok.' The one time we tried to do an intervention my step-father called us to come confront my mother when she came back from a tour. So we all came and a church pastor and counselor. When my mom came in off the tour bus and asked us what we were doing there the counselor tried to explain that we were all there for her because we loved her and were concerned about her. And Richey said immediately, 'I can't believe you girls would do this to your mom when she comes off the road, I can't be a part of this,' and he walked out and left as if it was not his idea. People would say how could he get in between you and your mom, what they don't understand was how good he was at being a con man and manipulate a situation.

Was it an abusive relationship?

If nothing else it was an emotionally abusive relationship. Also there are some people who witnessed mom saying she didn't want any pain medication, to not give her anymore and Richey would continue to inject her anyway and there were times when she did want it because she was in pain and refused to give it to her. She did admit to my sister that when all that stuff came out about her being kidnapped and beaten in 1978 that she and Richey had had a fight and he had beaten her. He threatened to destroy her life and write a tell all book so she decided to stay with him ... so they had to come up with a cover story why she had all these bruises ... so he concocted the kidnapping story for PR.

You're a singer. Were you hesitant about becoming a singer because of the comparisons?

Absolutely that's one reason why I waited so long. I also waited because I wanted to have a family and I didn't want to be gone all the time. I have twin boys that are nearly 18 and I waited until they were singing till I started singing full time and stopped nursing. The other reason I hesitated was because those kind of shoes to fill, to me seemed impossible. I knew it was human nature to compare me. I thought how could I possibly compare to either one of them favorably. But as I got older I thought I love music too much to want to look back one day and regret not doing everything I could in it. It's my passion and it's what I enjoy.

WHY NOT LISTEN TO SOME GREAT COUNTRY MUSIC WHILE READING THE Forum? (OPENS IN A NEW WINDOW):

Fair Use Notice: The material on this site is provided for educational and informational purposes. It may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. It is being made available in an effort to advance the understanding of scientific, environmental, economic, social justice and human rights issues etc. It is believed that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have an interest in using the included information for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. The information on this site does not constitute legal or technical advice.

KWBC.FM, Georgette Jones, George Jones, Tammy Wynette,

Offline BottleFed

• Administrator
  • Raised in Confinement
    • Back 40 Books
Georgette Jones: Standing by her Mom & Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:20:44 AM »
Standing by her mom and dad

George Jones and Tammy Wynette's daughter defends them in memoir.

Written by

Karen Bliss

Writing a book about her famous parents
wasn't something Georgette Jones,
daughter of George Jones and Tammy
Wynette, had thought about doing until a
book came out portraying them in a
negative light.

"About a year ago, a book was published
about my mom that I thought was going to
be very positive," she said. "Then, it was a
picture painted of my mom that was the
opposite of what I believed her to be."

"Tammy Wynette: Tragic Country Queen" by
Jimmy McDonough came out last year.
According to reviews posted at the time, it
reflected poorly on Wynette as a wife
(married five times) and mother of four
daughters.

Youngest daughter Georgette Jones'
memoir, "The Three of Us: Growing Up with
Tammy and George," goes on sale today.
She will be in Branson on Friday for a
performance, reading and talk.

It may have been the goal of clearing her
parents' name that made Georgette Jones
decide to write a book about her family life
with country stars, she said, but that in the
long run it became a way of becoming

closer to her family.

"Initially, (writing the book) was to clear
their name or let people know that the
images from the media about their past
were different," she said. "The media
showed my mom as this tragic woman of
divorce and my dad as the partying
outlaw."

Georgette Jones said she didn't have a
great relationship with her dad and his
other children growing up because of the
divorce and his drinking, but that she has
gotten to know them well now.

"Every year, we become closer than we
ever had been before," she said. "We do
keep in touch now and we have learned an
awful lot about each other. He didn't want
to be around me when he was drinking. He
tried to shelter me from that."

Her relationship with her mom and her
mom's three other daughters was great,
Georgette Jones said.

"Every summer and holiday, we would
travel with her," she said. "During the
school year, when she was home, she
would make us feel like we were the most
important things in her life."

Georgette Jones said the story of her
parents' divorce and how it affected her
isn't much different from anyone else's.

"Most people don't know anyone who hasn't
been affected by divorce," she said. "Lots
of people experience similar problems with
divorce, drugs or alcohol. The only
difference was that, with my two parents,
we were in the spotlight."

Even through the divorce and the life in the
spotlight, Georgette Jones said it didn't
keep her mom from trying to give her a
normal life.

"She taught me to be independent," she
said. "She raised me with chores. She