Author Topic: Chicken Breed Comparisons  (Read 1040 times)

Offline TheOldBuzzard

• Administrator
    • The Old Buzzard's Roost
Re: Chicken Breed Comparisons
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:04:37 AM »
Araucanas and Ameraucanas ARE "open pollinated".  They are NOT hybrids and will mate and give you fertile hatching eggs.  They are NOT setters though so one needs and incubator or hens of a breed such as Brahmas 
that love to go broody and be moms.  Contrary to what it says in the description above the ARE highly productive and lay a good number of large eggs.  They are also excellent foragers.   I have six breeds of non-hybrid chickens and they are far and away my favorites.
Herman Beck-Chenoweth

Back 40 Books Poultry Department:

Offline quakerdan

Re: Chicken Breed Comparisons
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
They are not, however, a heritage breed but of fairly recent origin and they are quite common as far as that is concerned.   I'd highly recommend if people are going to keep chickens and then hatch their own that they don't get something like an Americana, a production red or some other hybrid type, I'd recommend you get a true heritage breed and raise, like Delawares, Sussex, or something in order that there are more people out there preserving our genetic diversity.

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
Chicken Breed Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:58:42 AM »
http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/knowhow/chicks/livestock_care_2011_poultry_breed_guide?cm_mmc=Email-_-Ecom-_-20110307%20main-_-breedguide

Sample:  Ameraucanas
Egg Production: Blue Eggs with Medium Production

Ameraucanas come in both a large and a bantam variety and are often called the Easter egg chicken. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Rather than ear tufts, they have fuller muffs over their ears and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet tempered. Although less rare than their cousins the Araucanas, they are still an uncommon breed.

Best kept free range or confined; both cold hardy and heat tolerant.
Main use M/E
Egg Production M
Size and color L/Blue and Green

Learn All About Free-Range Poultry Production & Marketing Your Premium Products: