tenant

Author Topic: Need a new farm partner  (Read 1659 times)

Offline allmuxedup

Need a new farm partner
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
OK... it's official... my farming partners are moving!  The partner on my farm just gave me 30 days notice that she's leaving. His parents had health problems, so they're moving closer to them. She assured me when she moved in last year that she was there for many years!  I know that life just happens, but... I made quite an investment in her, I sent her to seminars, I bought stock that would not have bought w/out someone there long term.  We now have reg Irish Dexter cattle, meat goats, sheep (mostly reg St. Croix, also Blackbelly & Katahdin), reg Red Wattle pigs, meat rabbits, turkeys, Muscovy ducks, Toulouse geese and chickens as well as 3 LGDs.  I do have one person interested in this, but life has taught me better than to lay all my eggs in one basket.  I'd love to talk to lots of people about it.  That's the way to get the best deal for both of us.  I'm devastated about loosing her.  She & I agree on 98% of everything about running the farm & replacing her is going to be difficult.

The deal is kinda a sharecropper arrangement.  I make the investment in infrastructure.  I bought all the breeders & I doubt there will be any more needed from the outside.  I get as much as I can carry in my freezer.  I get the best of the female baby crop, for replacements.  You get everything else.  You don't get to retain breeders, all breeders are mine.  You get all the babies to sell for meat, except the cattle & pigs, the money from selling them goes to farm improvements.  (You don't get to take my baby crop & move w/ them, having a full setup on your new farm.  You don't get to replace my breeders w/ your own.)  If you want stock that I don't have, that's fine. Current partner has dairy goats. I can't imagine what you could want that we don't have, aside from dairy goats.  You get all eggs, to sell (except when I'm on the farm, I get to eat some.  :) )  You can milk the cows if you want & sell the milk.   (I get some to drink when I'm there.)
We want to get started w/ MIG (Managed Intensive Grazing) I sent them to a seminar to learn all about it, paid for her to hear Joel Salatin talk about it!  She's taking that knowledge w/ her.  :(   I can teach you a lot & I have several of Joel's books that she'll leave for you.  The farm is 1/3 mile from the city limits & you should be able to sell everything you can produce.  There are also standard sized fruit trees that are supposed to keep us in fruit from May to December.

The house is a 2 bedroom, w/ large living room, propane heat & a spot for a wood burning heater (they are taking one that's there; it's theirs.)  It has a propane stove & fridge.  There's a very large mudroom & 2 car garage.  The rent on the house is $350/mo.  You should be able to earn far more than that in sales of meat, milk, eggs & babies.  My current partner says she has babies sold before their born.  Our buck is Kiko & she wanted a Boer too, so she got one of those.  We were going to trade off to keep genetic diversity.  We might sell one of them.  We also have 3 barns, 2 for the stock & 1 for hay.  Or, I might have to send them all to the processor. They're harder than the sheep & cattle to contain.
We  are Certified Naturally Grown, and are Organic even tho we're not cert'd thru NOP.  We primarily raise for our own family & you get to sell the overflow.  You also get one beeve a year.  In addition to all the rest of the meat, that should be enough to fill a good sized family.  I'm sure there's got to be something I've forgotten, so don't hold my feet to the fire if I have.

I have historically been on the farm 5-7 months a year, working.  These partners are very private & I rented the other house, so I didn't have a place to stay.  If I can find a trailer to put on the property for me, or you don't mind be being in the house w/ you (bunk in the mudroom?) I'll do a lot of the work on the farm.  I enjoy it, mostly I think because I don't have to do it.  It's an avocation rather than a vocation, that makes it more enjoyable.  :)

Anyone interested...  They just gave me 30 days notice.  I'll give you their email address so you can contact them to find out particulars about the farm & how it is to live there.  I think it was more work than she thought it would be.   In the past, I spent 5-7 months a year on the farm, working there.  Tonia said that they liked privacy & weren't up for house guests for more than a month.  So, since I didn't have a place to stay anymore, I'm restricted in the time I can be there.  Someone finally suggested that I could get a trailer for a low price & live in that while I'm there.  Duhhhh!!!  So, I'm working on getting a trailer to put in the barn to sleep in while I'm at the farm.