Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes are a perennial tuber with edible tubers (Fall Planting)  (Read 180 times)

Offline Little Feather

• Administrator
  • Home on the Nest
    • Back 40 Books, Poultry Photos
Jerusalem Artichokes are a perennial tuber with edible tubers (Fall Planting)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »

What would you think about planting a crop for your livestock and never having to plant again?
Jerusalem Artichokes are a perennial tuber crop with edible tubers, leaves, stalks and flowers that contain up to 28% protein and come back year after year. Stalks will grow up to 10 feet tall with enormous yellow flowers on top.

The Jerusalem Artichoke is not a widely known plant in our country, but it can and does grow here from Canada to Florida. Each plant produces up to 10 pounds of tubers that are delicious and consumed by people the world over. They are even considered a gourmet food in Europe. The rest of the plant, and even the tubers, can be fed to every kind of livestock from chickens to pigs to cattle with favorable results. They are an extremely vigorous growing plant and once planted will completely take over an area so they should not be planted unless you desire them as a perennial crop. They are very hard to get rid of once planted.

The variety we grow is called Stampede, and is one of the most sought after of all varieties, which is why we grow them! They are superior in flavor and size to all other Jerusalem Artichoke varieties, some of which are barely suitable for human consumption. This variety is delicious.  I am currently selling fresh tubers to 3 grocery chains and a restaurant.

Each tuber left in the ground over the winter will produce numerous new plants with each of those plants producing up to 10 pounds of tubers the following fall. This plant puts on tubers in November throughout the winter. The plants will grow in any type of soil regardless of whether it is sand, clay or mulch and can tolerate drought conditions without failing.

I sell the plants as both a livestock crop and for human consumption in home gardens. My family loves them. They are a bit like a potato with a nutty flavor. They sell about as fast as I can grow them, and that is saying a lot because these are extremely vigorous growing.

If ordered for food, I have 5 great recipes that will be sent for free.

To order tubers for planting click herehttps://www.etsy.com/listing/184605424/jerusalem-artichoke-tubers?ref=shop_home_active_24

To order food grade tubers click here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/497940739/edible-organic-jerusalem-artichoke?ref=shop_home_active_1

Herman Beck-Chenoweth
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:20:49 AM by Little Feather »