Author Topic: New Artist Biography: Loren Franklin  (Read 1340 times)

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
New Artist Biography: Loren Franklin
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »

by Loren Franklin

All artists bring something of their life experience to their work, and I suppose that could be said for me. While I live in the mountains in Oregon, I have traveled over much of the world; Iíve lived in Europe, and seen a good deal of what life has to offer us. But no matter where I travel, I am always drawn back to the mountains, the high-desert, and the wild country that I call home. I find peace and solace in places where humans rarely tread. My working life has been much the same: I have worked the fishing boats on the Pacific Ocean, from Alaska down to Northern California. The ocean taught me a great deal about life; about a way of living that I could never have had in the city. I have worked in the woods, on farms, and have worked with wood; building cabinets, fine furniture, and homes. But no matter where I go, or what I may be doing, I am always filled with music, and always writing and playing my songs.

In my song-writing and studio recordings, I try to create something different than mainstream sound: my music is not the canned music one hears on the radio and in many recordings done today. It has always been important to me to create something personally authentic: songs that resonate with honesty. I always record with extremely accomplished musicians, to capture the sound and feel of a great live performance. My songs and their melodies seem to come alive with the use of acoustic instruments, so that is all we use when we are in the studio. There is a sound quality that comes from the wood of a cello, a fiddle, a Martin guitar, or the resonator in a Dobro, that cannot be created with electric instruments.

I have been influenced by many great artists over the years: most likely every artist I have ever heard has influenced me musically, one way or the other. But the greatest influences on my songwriting have been people like Danny OíKeefe, Kris Kristofferson, John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot and Townes Van Zandt. I always try to write songs that combine vivid images with emotions and melodies that will carry them ó and hopefully you ó on the journeys they take. Songs about love thatís been found, and love thatís been lost. Songs from the past and songs that look to the future; about real people I have known, and the experiences in their lives that we all can understand, and all empathize with. My music is hard to define, as it seems to have elements of roots country, folk, a touch of blues, and bluegrass: I call it mountain music ó maybe thatís because I live in the mountains and do all of my song-writing there.

I hope my songs and music will find a wonderful place in your life, and carry you on a journey or two.

-Loren Franklin-

Loren's works will be available for request or purchase and are included on the KWBC.FM 24 - 7 Country Playlist & the Folk Play list as well.