Author Topic: Breeds prefered?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline quakerdan

Re: Breeds prefered?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:42 AM »
If you're just raising some pigs to slaughter, don't worry, be happy.   Whatever you get should do well.  Hogs are tough and love it outdoors.   Heat is bad. Provide them with a mud wallow,  they can't sweat you know and need to cool off in the mud.  Provide shade.   An open faced shed is good even here where it gets 40 below zero in the winter as long as they have plenty of deep straw to bury themselves in.

If you want to raise and breed hogs.  Consider helping us keep a heritage breed alive.   I prefer black poland chinas or herefords myself.  They are great foragers and have good meat.  Berks are good too, but I've not been able to get the nice sized litters from them you can with Polands.

Offline orangepower

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
I think you could raise any breed on pasture as long as you purchase breeding stock from someone who is using a pasture-based system. I fed out 4 Berkshire barrows on pasture last year to test out my rotation system, and they did very well, even though they came from a small, semi-confinement system nearby (purchased as piglets).

After tasting that Berk meat, I want to raise Berks when I'm ready to take the plunge into farrowing on pasture. That was the sweetest pork I've ever had. We raised Yorks when I was growing up and used to always make fun of the kids that showed Berks :p

Best Regards,

nanc

Cordero Farms
Tryon, OK, USA

Offline Alison in Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 06:35:04 AM »
Last summer we had "blue butts", probably yorkshire/hampshire crosses.  They did a beautiful job clearing weeds from an area we want to raise veggies in, ate all our cull vegetables form our 2 acre market garden, entertained us and, in the end, fed us well.  They were pushing 400 pounds when we had them processed, and from 3 of them, we only had about 75 pounds of fat to render for lard.  Great tasting, lean pork!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Offline Cowboygourmet

• Grace & Gifts
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »
Durocs do very well in outdoor situations.  I have successfully raised them in outdoor pens for 30 years.  I use two strands of electrified barb wire.  You must use a really good charger though.
"Never Drink Downstream from the herd and don't squat with yer spurs on"
 "The Ole Cowboy"

Offline dhaugli

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
I have chester white sows and berk x farm mix boars.  Both seem to do well on pasture and they also farrow well in cold weather.  I recently bought this farm; before that, I was raising them on dry-lot.  My new pastures are not very good yet; as fall has approached, the pigs began digging them up - they've dug up about 6 acres, but they seem happy and largely healthy.  I am amazed at how much they forage.

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:11:34 AM »
Here are a few lines from another Forum article that addresses your question:

Sows farrow in outdoor huts in all but the harshest weather. In fact, two years ago, his four indoor farrowing pens were full and a sow gave birth in one of the outside huts in 5-degree weather, raising eight of the nine pigs.

The pigs are half-Duroc and half-Hampshire, but Snavely said the newer breeds donít adapt well to the outdoors and recently bought 12 Tamworth sows, an older red breed known for its ability to adapt. At the urging of Parker Bosley, heís also considering locating another old swine breed, the Gloucestershire Old Spots, known as good foragers and grazers.
You can read the full story here: http://back40forums.com/index.php?topic=419.0
HB-C

Offline carebee2001

Breeds prefered?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:33 AM »
What breed(s) of pigs do well on pasture? I am looking for ones that are able to withstand a bit of 10 degree (F) weather in the winter and an occasional 100 degree (F) during the summer. Ease of farrowing is a big consideration as well. As a single woman farmer (not young) I want to avoid wrestling with pigs, if at all possible!