tenant

Author Topic: Welcome to Pigs on Pasture!  (Read 6292 times)

Offline VeeJay

Re: Welcome to Pigs on Pasture!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:04:35 AM »
Joel Salatin's book and his video is a great resource for pastured pork beginners. It was quite amazing for me to learn to use this animal(which I had thought was good for nothing animal,except for great sausages & meat) from Joel. He pretty much  explains the animal being used as a piggerator for composting at the cattle shed, allowing the pigs to till a good pasture lot to enhance the soil fertility (no use of tillers here) . He does mention about growing corn(I guess this is something particular to american farmers not to stay away from the same) , purely as food for pigs with no added labour cost for harvesting , as the pigs are allowed to help themselves on on the corn. I guess , I should be trying this down south in India, When I get down here from Dubai, from my banking job and get into active farming.

CHECK OUT ALL OF JOEL'S BOOKS AND VIDEOS BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:00:13 AM by CatManDo »

Offline dhaugli

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:05:11 AM »
Hi Diana,

I got hold of an old (1913 I think) Lippincott's farm manual ("Productive Swine Husbandry").  The book discusses raising pigs outdoors with significant emphasis on feeding.  It's an amazing little book.  However, the book also says that the attraction of raising pigs in the Midwest is the availability of corn.

Having said that - would you be buying two feeder pigs or farrowing yourselves?  I cannot say for sure, but my gut feeling is that two pigs reared on a very healthy pasture with plenty of diversity in forages, should be able to get along without grain.  The reason I think this is two-fold:  first, I have noticed a marked drop in grain consumption for pigs who have good pasture and especially pasture with some wooded areas; second, feral pigs have been very successful without grain.  What's the catch?  Well, probably slower growth.  The "Swine Industry" in Iowa (read large corporate or contract hog confinements) can bring a pig to maturity in much less time than pigs raised outdoors on pasture.  Instead of five or six months to mature, your pigs might need eight months or more.

Of course, if you are raising the pigs for yourselves, you do not necessarily need to shoot for a target weight, but rather, raise them on good pasture for as long as you can and butcher them when the pasture can no longer support them.

Regards,

Dana

Offline Shepherdess

• Hiding
    • Sam's Icelandic Sheep Farm, llc
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
Am Looking forward to learning from this posting thread. 

I have several friends that say there is no way to raise pigs on pasture, that they must be grained even when on pasture.  I want to raise 2 pigs a years for me and my family, but refuse to do the grain thing.  Thought I'd by a 'pastured pig' book at some point and figure it out.

Hope to get some good advice here about this subject.

Thanks, Diana
Diana
Shepherdess

Offline allmuxedup

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
What a great idea!  I need all the info on this one I can get!  We just got our Red Wattle hogs & want to raise them on pasture... but we don't want the pasture torn up or the other animals eaten.  So many things to figure out!

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
Welcome to Pigs on Pasture!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:47:45 AM »
We are sorry we didn't get this board up and running earlier, but it's here now.  I have a couple of folks in mind that can share good information with us and I myself participated in my son's FFA SOEP project of Farrow to Finish hogs.  Let's make this as active as the Free-Range Poultry board!
Herman Beck-Chenoweth
:)