Author Topic: Pot Bellied Pig for Dinner?  (Read 6403 times)

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
Pot Bellied Pig for Dinner?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
I am considering trapping the family of pot bellied pigs that were dropped off on the road and are roaming in our woods and confining them to areas where I want to clear stumps and eradicate ragweed. Does the meat from pot bellied pigs taste any different from big pigs?

Answer:
I had always raised farm hogs, but recently switched to Potbelly pigs - aka Asian Heirloom Hogs. I purchased from a PBP meat breeder. I have 2 gilts and a boar and when they start producing, I will be eating their children! -G-

The PBP pet sitting on the couch and sharing snacks with you will be a lard pig. The PBP raised outside and fed like a pig should be will be a bacon pig.

I know folks who have raised PBPs for years on pasture and prefer them for meat. The meat is so lean that they have to add fat when making HAMburger/sausage.

The true PBP will be about 120 pounds as an adult and will give about 50 - 60 pounds of meat, although they can also be butchered when smaller.

I would suggest if you keep the pigs you found, that you feed them for at least a month the way a pig should be fed before you butcher. The meat will be better.

The taste of any critters you raise to eat depends how you feed. Garbage in, garbage out!

Dual purpose -- you can also sell the youngsters as pets to buyers who want them.

The PBP doesn't root as deep as the big pigs.

Raising Pigs the Natural Way DVD by Kelly Klober. This 2 hour widescreen production was taped at the 2009 Small Farm Today Conference and Trade Show in Columbia Missouri. Written and presented by Kelly Klober, a real family farmer. In today's market, range-rearing of swine provides the family farm with a key venture for diversification and cash flow, perhaps no other large animal enterprise offers as fast a turnaround on investments. Range-produced pork is now sought out by the informed consumer concerned with issues of factory farming and willing to pay a premium to get a healthy, quality alternative. This comprehensive video on raising hogs the natural way includes discussion on housing and fencing, selection and breeding, herd maintenance, feed and feeding, marketing and more. DVD widescreen format, plays on computer or TV. Run time 2.5 hours. To Order By Phone Call Toll Free: 866-596-9982.  $34.95

CLICK HERE TO ORDER ON-LINE:  SHIPS IN 24 HOURS!  EXCLUSIVE TO BACK 40 BOOKS:  http://www.back40books.com/get_item_pvpd-4008_raising-pigs-the-natural-way-dvd-kelly-klober.htm

POT BELLY PIGS, PASTURING HOGS, PIGS ON PASTURE, KELLY KLOBER, PLEASANT VALLEY PRODUCTIONS, POT BELLY PIGS FOR MEAT