Author Topic: Let's Get Goin'  (Read 2876 times)

Offline ElderberryWine4u

• Swamp Creek Farm
Re: Let's Get Goin'
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
I think America needs a motivational leader at this critical point in our nation's history.  Last year I sat in on a talk about two different kinds of leaders and the social circumstances that favor one type over the other.  It seems that in times of crisis, motivational leaders serve society better as guides through whatever crisis is being experienced.  Usually such leaders are strongly altruistic and remuneration for their efforts is secondary to them.  Such leaders are rare.  It is my hope that America elects (on my birthday!) such a leader.  I would like to see this leader motivate our Congress to provide tax dollars to the States and not to Wall Street, foreign banks and investors, the obscenely wealthy or political insiders, for distribution to people who want to start small businesses -- like free range poultry operations, organic meat processing facilities, restaurants that serve local food, energy initiatives or other innovative business ideas.  In Wisconsin I would like to see new legislation passed, similar to legislation pioneered and currently operative in Kentucky, that allows (with restrictions) small producers to value add their products in their home kitchens instead of having to rent commercial kitchen space.  This hearkens back to the old days when Grandma made butter or cheese, breads, preserves and the like in her kitchen and Hubbie then hitched up the wagon, hauled everthing to town, and sold it.  Pride in workmanship dispelled customer fears of bad food.  And you knew your farmer!  While I believe food safety laws are certainly in the public interest, I do believe they have become overly burdensome to the microprocessor and inhibit the growth of small business.  I attended a teleconference regarding the possibility of introducing this type of legislation in Wisconsin and the representative of DATCP (Dept. of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection) flat out opposed it and said the Department would fight such proposed legislation.  The immediate feeling I got from her response was that she was a typical bureaucrat who didn't want to add to her work load.  My assumption may be incorrect but I trust my instincts, and it is this kind of blockage I hope to see a motivational President overcome.  I went ahead and sent my state Representative copies of all the information I had regarding the Kentucky legislation.  He seemed genuinely interested.  I hope something will come of it. I hate to be cynical, but he is up for reelection. 

Of course, a leader can only lead.  Like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink", to be successful, such a leader must be able to mobilize the constituency to accept his/her ideas and act on them.  Let's harangue our Congressional representatives to reform our nation's laws and rebuild its infrastructure.  Let's all resolve to help our next President be successful in renewing America's economy and world image by doing our part in working however we can to make our community strong.  After all, grass grows from the roots up and so do nations. 
Joyce Paski
Swamp Creek Farm
Butternut, WI
Zone 3

Offline admin

• Back 40 Forums
Re: Let's Get Goin'
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:15:40 AM »
I feel that in the near future (the next 100 years or so) that hydrogen fuel cells are our best bet for our growing energy needs.  This site (howstuffworks.com) explains how basic fuel cell technology works and gives us a rough idea where the fuel cell stands timewise for global use (they also have a pretty cool video on how the process works..  Fuel Cells 2000 has a fairly comprehensive tally of where we presently stand as far as deployment and technology. 

For the distant future (past 100 years we will need to gradually harness the full forces behind Mother Gaea) what I mean with that is not just brutal domination of all energy sources available to us on this planet, but we must practice harmonious balance and understanding of the nature of these forces, in order to utilize them to their potential (without destroying the planet in the process).   This means natural activity (volcanic, tidal, gravitational, electromagetic and weather) as well as incoming solar and cosmic radiations.

Past a couple of thousand years we will need to harness the full power of the sun as demonstrated here.  A Dyson Sphere (the full concept introduced by Freeman Dyson in 1959) is a sphere or collection of rings that encircle the sun at about twice earths orbit.  The idea being to much more full capture the suns radiations (the earth collects less than 1/1,000,000,000 th of the suns energies) and use it to power our ever growing needs.

While returning to a more practical and simpler lifestyle is an option that many are turning to now, the adventurous and pioneering spirit that fuels many to excel and strive towards future progress will keep a large number of heads looking skyward (myself included) and dreaming of stepping onto another planet and greeting someone extraterrestrial. 

I just hope (and attempt to instill in my children and grandchildren) that our wisdom gained on such a journey will prove sufficient.

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
Let's Get Goin'
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
O.k. folks.  We all know the economy is a mess, energy policy has failed, people are being laid off and it costs so much for gas or diesel some folks can't even afford to drive to work anymore.  We have seen the in-action and mis-action from the White House to the Congress.  Who is going to get us back on track?  All ideas are welcome.  Anything from pie-in-the-sky to some concrete way that you or someone you know is getting by or making a difference. 
Read the post in this list about a book titled The Complete BioGas Handbook ( http://back40forums.com/index.php?topic=99.0 )containing  "ancient" ideas about energy self-reliance.  If you are interested in this book, buy it from the author.  He could use some bucks himself!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:49:09 AM by BottleFed »