Author Topic: A Seeker with a Quest (from central Illinois)  (Read 2699 times)

Offline theseeker

Re: A Seeker with a Quest (from central Illinois)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
My heart opens up as I gaze at these photos. Thank you for sharing them. :)

Offline Little Feather

• Administrator
  • Home on the Nest
    • Back 40 Books, Poultry Photos
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41:09 AM »
You can check out a lot of "How We Do It" by clickiing this link:
http://directory.ic.org/2853/Natures_Pace_Sanctuary

Here are a couple of views from our farm:

Prairie:

Livestock Pasture & Range:

Listen to our community radio station here:

Click the link below to get a copy of the $30.00 Community Directory for just 5 bucks!

Direct any NPS inquiries to: Herm.NaturesPace (at) Earthlink.net

Offline theseeker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
Wow - 90% of your own food with only three people! I find that amazing. What kind of setting do you live in? Do you experience all four seasons? I wonder about many things - such as even though I can see myself doing this and even have a few friends interested (my wife as well), I wonder about the skills needed. How much money would we need for a cushion until we get up and running', what about medical care, how difficult would it be to live with our friends, what it would be like to get rid of most of what we own, etc. I am excited, but worried that the dream may somehow pass us by and we will end up back in the society that robs us of ourselves.

Sorry if I ramble like this, but I see it as a sign of the beginning of freedom!

Thanks for reading!

theseeker   

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
83% DISCOUNT ON COMMUNITIES DIRECTORY IN SALE BARN
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
I know your feeling:  We went through it around 20 years ago.  We are now living this kind of life, but it is difficult to find you people that are willing to put the muscle and effort into making it work.  Right now we are a group of 3 ranging from 54 - 66 and have several regular visitors that give us a hand.  On the plus side, we are happy and produce almost 90% of our own food and we are happy.  We would like to find a few other kindred souls with an understanding of why everyone needs to pull together for the good of the whole.  I suggest you also post your words in our Intentional Communities section down in the Resilience boards.

IF YOU WANT TO TOUR SOME EXISTING COMMUNITIES  BACK 40 HAS A GREAT BUY ON SLIGHTLY OUT OF DATE COMMUNITY DIRECTORIES AT AN 83% DISCOUNT!
CLICK BELOW TO TAKE A LOOK IN THE SALE BARN:

Offline theseeker

A Seeker with a Quest (from central Illinois)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
Hello, all. All my life I have had a strong connection with nature. Somehow I allowed society to get me off track (sound familiar anyone?). About a year ago, I was sitting in a meeting, working for a large corporation, in a room with no windows, and I realized how far I was off course from my natural path. Meanwhile, the economy started its recent tank. I began to write out my ideas for a commune. I am sure everyone assumed that I was taking notes, but I was looking for a way to get out of the plastic society and back to what I feel I was meant to be. Later, after searching the internet, I began to see that many others shared my views. I did not feel as alone. I have talked to my wife and close friends and have discussed organic gardening, forming a commune, simplifying, finding our true path, getting closer to the earth, becoming ourselves, feeling the natural connection, intentional communities, getting off the grid, following dreams and anything else that seemed to resonate. This is an exciting time in my life (I am 48 years old), and the in-the-moment journey is a natural place to be. I may fast-forward a bit when I dream, but each day I try to take some step toward a renewable and renewed life.

I guess joining this forum is a way to reach out to folks that share my love for the natural world. I welcome any comments and stories you may have that could validate my current path and assist me on my quest.

Thanks!

Paul