Author Topic: Eating of the whole animal  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Little Feather

• Administrator
  • Home on the Nest
    • Back 40 Books, Poultry Photos
Eating of the whole animal
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
Liver & Onions Marinara

Almost two years ago we brought our longhorn, Cholula, into the butcher. I had a six week old baby in the sling and Texas had just weathered one of the worst droughts in history. Cholula was a bit on the thin side to say the least.

When we picked her up we had organ meats to eat for weeks. The amount of liver that comes from one cow is enormous, let me tell ya. Besides liver, there was tongue and kidney and heart and more and more liver. It was a lot of offal for one family, and while we eat it, we’re not jumping up and down about it.

But it seems like the right thing to do, the eating of the whole animal. Plus, we know the organs are incredibly nutrient-dense, even compared to that tasty flesh. So those weeks of organ meats really helped to strengthen me following the birth of our third baby.

Pairing liver with bacon and onions makes it delectable, as do these tips for cooking liver. Adding a layer of garlic-laden marinara sauce adds one more layer of flavor to balance out that strong liver flavor. It’s still liver, y’all, but if you’re going to eat it why not make it tasty?

Click here for recipe:  http://back40forums.com/index.php?topic=3211.0

Click to Visit the Back 40 General Store Herb Department:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:02:16 AM by Herman Beck-Chenoweth »