tenant

Author Topic: Despite Alzheimer's Glen Campbell Plays on........  (Read 859 times)

Offline BottleFed

• Administrator
  • Raised in Confinement
    • Back 40 Books
Despite Alzheimer's Glen Campbell Plays on........
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:46:54 AM »
“There’s nothing bothering me,” Glen Campbell says with a wide grin as he parks on a sofa to address his battle with Alzheimer’s.

The incurable memory-robbing disease has taken a toll since the country/pop hero was diagnosed in early 2011, yet Campbell remains stubbornly optimistic.

“I’m actually getting along with it,” he says, sporting a tan and appearing lean and fit in a golf shirt, plaid shorts and sneakers. “I told it to get out or something. I don’t even know it’s there.”

Tragically, Campbell simply forgets it’s there, just as he has difficulty recalling many recent events, including the making of evocative swansong See You There, out Tuesday on Surfdog Records. He has less trouble remembering the classics retooled on the album, including solo breakthrough Gentle on My Mind, pop-country crossover Rhinestone Cowboy and movie theme True Grit, the first country song nominated for an Oscar.

“I have been very blessed with some great songs,” Campbell, 77, says. “Jimmy Webb (Wichita Lineman, Galveston) was magical. He had some of the better songs. And Rhinestone was great too, and people really like it. If I don’t like it, I’m not going to sing it.”

Fresh takes on See You There were casually recorded while Campbell was shaping Ghost on the Canvas, the acclaimed 2011 release that paired him with such admirers as Jakob Dylan, Paul Westerberg and Teddy Thompson. The remakes were never intended for release, but Surfdog founder Dave Kaplan encouraged the couple to share the poignant reinterpretations with fans.

Campbell, nursing an iced tea as black Giant Schnauzer Kona lies at his feet, turns to wife Kim, seated beside him, and says, “She knows more about this than I do.”

The onetime Radio City Rockette, whom he met on a blind date and married in 1982, rests a hand on his knee and tells him, “You recut a lot of vocals on your songs just for fun. Dave Kaplan heard them and loved them and got some creative ideas for new instrumentation, so they’re more mellow and laid back.

“I’m so in love with the originals that the first time I listened to these I wasn’t too sure about it,” she says. “But the second time, wow, I really like this. A great song is a great song.”