Author Topic: Kosher Kill Method (Humane Poultry Slaughter)  (Read 7123 times)

Offline BottleFed

• Administrator
  • Raised in Confinement
    • Back 40 Books
Re: Kosher Kill Method (Humane Poultry Slaughter)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
This is an excellent all-around article that needs more exposure!
Bill

Click the Image Below to learn about Herman Beck-Chenoweth's Best selling Book & DVD Combo at Back 40 General Store:

Offline Herman Beck-Chenoweth

• Administrator
    • Back40Books
Kosher Kill Method (Humane Poultry Slaughter)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:07:22 AM »
I have reproduced a page from my book Free-Range Poultry Production & Marketingthat details the Kosher Kill method.  Below the page are some additional comments.  If you need to see the complete slaughter process in real time there is a slaughter sequence in my video of the same name.

2007 Herman Beck-Chenoweth

Here are some additional considerations:
It helps to take the thumb and forefinger of your free hand and pull the skin tight around the bird's neck.  This gives you something firm to cut against and helps insure a clean cut.  After a few birds your knife will be dulled by contacting the neck bones and will need to be re-sharpened.  You should be using an in-expensive carbon-steel knife such as an "Old Hickory".  These knives can quickly regain their sharpness with a few strokes on the steel.  If you are unsure of what a steel is either look it up on the web or visit a good restaurant supply house. 

Done often (and it's like watching a good pianist--it looks easy but you need experience to get good at it) you will become very accomplished.

Now, a few words about emotions:  Taking a life of any type, even harvesting vegetables, is a very serious event.  First, in the case of your birds, you are in the unusual position of going from a caregiver who's goal is to give your bird the most natural, healthful bird life you can.  Then you turn to the job of honoring that bird's life by slaughtering it in a humane way and honoring it's life by turning it into the best tasting, most healthful meat for you, your family or your customers.

I always hold the bird a little while before putting it into the killing cone, and speaking in a soft voice, thank the bird for sharing it's life with me and giving up it's life to nurture others.  We did this in our commercial operation by having a short ceremony before slaughter began.  If you ever come to a place that slaughter is just another day, get a glass of tea, go sit in a shady, quiet place and think about your role in the web of life.  It's o.k. to shed some tears.

Just remember that when you slit that bird's vein with a sharp knife it won't even feel the cut and as soon as it begins to bleed it will lose consciousness.  What you see is nature's way of ensuring a healthful product. Even though the bird might appear to be staring at you what you are seeing are automatic physiological responses.  The bird is unconscious within seconds after you slit the vein.  Believe you me, Mrs. Raccoon does not do a painless job like you can when providing a chicken dinner to her babies!

O.K.  here is a short sermon for those who care to listen.  We are all a part of the web of life.  Our duty is to live in Harmony with and Honor all Creation.  As I said earlier, killing anything has always been taken very seriously by spiritual people of all beliefs.  Life moves pretty fast these days, but we need to bear in mind that those of us who still have the knowledge to live close to the Earth and the plants and animals around us are in a very special position.  The food we produce ourselves will always be more fullfilling than that produced in a huge plant for a paycheck.  If you are interested in more on how we all must take our Human place in Creation scroll on down to The Old Buzzard's Ruminations on this forum site.
Herman Beck-Chenoweth

Click the rooster to visit Back40Books Poultry Department
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:10:46 AM by BottleFed »