Author Topic: I'm concerned about overhead predators  (Read 2031 times)

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
Re: I'm concerned about overhead predators
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:20:02 AM »
Birds can land on hot wires, they are not grounded so no complete circuit. All summer the Phoebes competed for hoppers with my broilers perching on the electric fence. A determined, hungry hawk will not be swayed by much. I've removed hawks at a pheasant farm that actually blasted thru the protective netting covering the bird runs at high speed, then could not get out. What size hawk is hanging around your neighborhood? Most definitely drive your birds in at night, the GH owl can be much more determined and can wipe out a few birds a night and will remember a grand food source. Hawks, at this time of the year, during migration, are more than likely a one hit deal. But that can change once the hawks settle in for the winter... come colder temps they also will remember a good food source.

Dave Merker
Etna, New Hampshire

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
I'm concerned about overhead predators
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:18:14 AM »
My chickens are about to head out into the open. Their mobile chicken palace will be finished today & we're going to use a day-range model - putting them in the palace at night & letting them roam within the electric net fence during the day.
However, I'm concerned about overhead predators. We have a lot of hawks in the neighborhood. I've heard some people mention running a wire from a pole attached to the coop, out to the edges of the fencing. Would this be an electric wire? Does anyone have a link to a resource for this? Or any other suggestions? Would flash tape be at all effective, do you think?

Poultry Department:

poultry predators, chicken predators, chicken hawks, pastured poultry predators, back40forums.com