Author Topic: My Chickens have been sneezing and wheezing  (Read 3878 times)

Offline quakerdan

Re: My Chickens have been sneezing and wheezing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
Chicken flu? ? ?

If you used teramyacin, you should have only given it for a week to 10 days at the most, after that, you're just building up resistance to the drug.    If they were mine, I'd kill all that display the signs and hope you've squashed it.   There's a fellow down the road and his birds carry this "creeping crud"  I call it.   I got some birds from him not knowing his had it, all my birds got sick like yours and nothing seemed to help, they then started to croak.   I ended up losing over half my chickens and all my turkeys.  The survivors were carriers and gave it to my next flock the next year so I completely depopulated and fumigated the henhouse and started over with new birds, however I lost a heritage flock of turkeys that I had for years and years an years, was one of the oldest flocks of Beltsville's in the country and now they're lost and gone forever. :(   Live and learn. 

I had isolated those birds from mine when I first brought them in and watched them for two weeks before putting with mine.  I should have thrown a couple of mine in with them to find out that they would kill mine, his birds were carriers but not sick acting.

That was about ten years ago.   This guy still has the birds that carry the crud.   Last fall a fellow called me and said his birds were sick and he described the birds like you say.   I recogised it as the same thing mine had had.   I asked this guy, "So when did you get some birds from So & So?"  "How did you know we got birds from So & SO?" he asked me.     I told him because I knew that his birds were sick and infecting everyone else in the country.   They ended up depopulating too.

"How

Offline CatManDo

• Administrator
    • Back 40 General Store
My Chickens have been sneezing and wheezing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:06:19 AM »
Hello,
I bought some White Rock chickens and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes.
They have been sneezing and wheezing now for weeks.
I have been giving them Terramison? and other anti biotics. Wormed them and they still
don't come around. I put them inside each night. Most of them have full feathers now.
The roaster is pretty bad. One eye is swollen shut. He hardly moves around. What can I do?
I really wanted to raise this older breed. Have heard they are pretty hardy. I am keeping them away from my other
flock, but one chicken of the older flock is now sneezing also.
Thanks for you time.
Kirsten

Black Bell Acres
Home of Registered Alpine Dairy Goats,
Grass-fed Lamb and Purebred Scottish Highland Cattle
We have eggs for sale from free range chickens.
417-778-6009
www.blackbellacres.com
www.ozarksdrafthorseassociation.blogspot.com/

To view more information:  http://www.back40books.com/item.asp?n=9780882666112&f=1