Author Topic: Hi from Kentucky  (Read 2901 times)

Offline KyRedneckAcres

• KyRedneckChicken
    • KyRedneckAcres
Re: Hi from Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »
Lisa,
 I'm new here & I'm from Ky 2. Where in Ky do live? I live in Wetern Ky in Ballard County.

KyRedneck

Offline quakerdan

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
Howdy,

Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have

Offline admin

• Back 40 Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:57:07 AM »
Lisa,

No need to be intimidated, while it is true that many of our members have many years of farming and self-reliance experience and a good number of them either run their own personal blogs and/or have authored their own books, they are always willing to lend their vast knowledge to most any conversation.  So feel comfortable when asking questions that you will get good knowledgable answers.

surelock

Offline willielisa

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm trying not to feel intimidated by the wealth of experience on this board :)  I don't know that I have much to offer but I'm sure open to sharing ideas!

Lisa

Offline admin

• Back 40 Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Welcome Lisa, hope you drop by often and feel free to contribute as you feel fit.  Glad to have you aboard.

Offline willielisa

Hi from Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm Lisa, and we're in Kentucky.  We are in a major city area, tucked away on 5.5 acres and loving it.  I grew up in the country (DH grew up in the city) and we love being able to provide a rural lifestyle for our children.

I'm a nurse, but am trying to figure out ways that our land can supplement our income so I don't have to be away from home so much.  We just started out with chickens in the fall of last year, and have been selling a very few eggs.  We expanded our flock this summer and hope to have more next year to sell. 

We also sold chicks this year, and plan to keep doing that.  I'm entertaining the idea of turkeys, but I'm not there yet.  We can't free range here due to predators, and we haven't put together enough tractors yet to house everyone.

I didn't put out a garden this year, but instead started a bunch of perennial flowers for our own landscaping.  I also supported our neighbors and bought strawberries and corn to can (first time canning - yay!) I have composting worms and compost piles, and we're feeding our soil in raised beds so that we can put out a lot next year.  Of course, deer/rabbits etc are an issue here.  I also plan to put out apple, peach, pear and cherry trees in the fall or spring.  I have blackberries and plan to get blueberries, too.  Oh, and we have strawberries.

I'm interested in bees, small livestock up to the size of the dexter cattle, growing my own hay, etc.  Loving the info from here. Right now I am still in the "overwhelmed" category by all the possibilities...

Thanks!
Lisa